Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Epic Fail! (A Learning Experience)

Well.. I did it. I took a nice, high priced locomotive and decided to mess with it. In this case, it is a Kato F40PH in Amtrak livery. Specifically,"Phase III #376". It was a nice looking engine.

I wanted to repaint it silver and black, then decal it for NJ Transit. See, I'm also working on a few Island Modelworks cast resin car kits of the Comet II trailers and cab car.

Let's just say that the loco turned out poorly. Currently, it's soaking in 92% isopropyl alcohol to strip the paint back down to the bare shell.

Update: the soak worked great! The only thing remaining is the black, but I don't mind since its going to be the same color anyway.

Lesson learned. Be patient, and don't skip steps!

No comments:

Post a Comment